A double bill..
Join Opera on the Spot for cabaret-style performances of two one-act operas, Hand of Bridge (Barber) and The Old Maid and the Thief (Menotti). In both of these quirky and lesser-known works, appearances can be deceiving: an otherwise ordinary hand of bridge becomes slowly fraught with desire, and the niceties of small talk give way to feelings of resentment and desperation. Deal yourself in, and join us for an immersive evening of operatic antics!
Friday, August 4th at 7:30 pm at Center for New Music, 55 Taylor Street
Monday, August 7th at 7:30 pm Italian Restaurant, Caffe Delle Stelle, 395 Hayes Street
A Hand of Bridge, by Samuel Barber, libretto by Gian Carlo Menotti
- David, a florid business man Sergey Khalikulov, baritone
- Geraldine, his middle aged wife Jordan Amann, soprano
- Bill, a lawyer Kevin Gino, tenor
- Sally, his wife Claire MacKenzie, mezzo-soprano
The Old Maid and the Thief, music and libretto by Gian Carlo Menotti
- Miss Todd Emma Lacenski, mezzo-soprano
- Laetitia Emily Thebaut, soprano
- Miss Pinkerton Aisha Campbell, soprano
- Bob Sergey Khalikulov, baritone
Opera on the Spot needs your help to put on productions that are innovative and go against the norms of traditional opera. There is a lot that goes into putting on a production; buying the rights to the music, props, costumes, accompanist and artist fees, rehearsal space and much more! Any donation goes a long way in keeping Opera on the Spot running. Not only are your donations tax deductible, but we also have different gift levels for your donation. Please click the donate page to learn more!